|SCRI Project Updates – PostHarvest Handling|
“Advancing Onion Postharvest Handling Efficiency and Sustainability by Multimodal Quality Sensing, Disease Control, and Waste Stream Management”;
Project Director – Dr. Changying “Charlie” Li at firstname.lastname@example.org
[ Supported in Part by USDA-NIFA-SCRI Project No. 2009-02520 ]
Goal: Enhance onion postharvest handling efficiency and sustainability by integrating more efficient online sorting, reducing storage losses, and managing the waste stream of onions in relation to the following objectives:
· Enhance the efficiency of onion quality sorting by a multimodal sensing platform using X-ray and hyperspectral imaging technologies.
· Develop a gas sensing and tracing method for disease detection in storage and evaluate onion postharvest disease management practices.
· Manage the onion waste stream and mitigate environmental pollution using an anaerobic digestion system.
· Evaluate social implications and economic impacts of these technologies.
· Engage in outreach and technology transfer with stakeholders.